Thursday, December 10, 2009

VR In Education

I think the virtual reality is kind of cool! Having said that however, I do not feel like they have much use in a K-5 setting. Most kids can barely read and write, so why should we expect them to learn the ways of a virtual world on top of that. I do however feel that students 6-12 may benefit from some exposure to it. Incorporating it in a lesson or two would not be so harmful. For example, on the video they used it in viewing old Shakespeare plays and medieval times. That would work for history lessons and I think would be a cool thing. And as their education continues, working up to using it more frequently. I see this VR being used in more of a college setting where students have a chance to fiddle around with it in their spare time.

As a future educator (K-5) I do not feel that I would be so inclined to use this. I believe that it takes time away from classroom/social interaction. If I found a way to use it minimally so that it did not take up too much time, I may change my mind. Teaching is hard work and I think that would make more work for me to learn it myself and then teach it and make sure they understand it. If I can cut one thing out, it would be VR.

Call me old-fashioned but like many other technologies I think VR is becoming a fad. What is the efficacy of using such a tool in education? Is there research showing it is just as effective as regular teaching? I have never heard of this before now so to me this is something very new. I am a strong believer in classroom setting teaching, having that teacher-student relationship and I feel like you miss out on that interaction when using a VR.

No comments:

Post a Comment